Some of my fondest memories as a mom is reading together with my kids. When you are enjoying good literature together, discussions just seem to flow. And then it happens…
The moment when your tween or teenager shares a private thought or asks a deep question.
This is the main reason behind creating the Literature Study and reading guide for Hattie Big Sky. I wanted to help moms just like you cultivate more moment together with your kids.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. I did receive product in return for my honest review. If you purchase through a link The Reluctant Cowgirl will receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, used toward keeping this blog going. I only recommend products I appreciate and trust. Read all my disclosure here.
Reading isn’t just for the younger kids. Tweens and even teenagers enjoy reading together, having lively debates, laughing and growing together with the book characters.
Create some of these amazing experiences for your family when you purchase the Literature Guide for Hattie Big Sky for ONLY $5.99
To simplify your life, I have done all the work so you simply download, print the pages you need and go!
Relax and enjoy those special moments with your kids while they are still at home!
Create a simple summer book club with your teens and a few other moms and their teens. Read together as a family or help your teen set up a teen led summer book club of their own!
There are so many ways to use your Literature Guide packet. It’s all about enjoying great literature, learning together, and building relationships!
Young Adult Literature Guide for Hattie Big Sky
Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson is such a beautifully written book and will be enjoyed by young adults and parents alike.
In 1918, in the midst of WWI, a 16 year old orphan heads to Montana to try to make a go of homestead living. Hattie wants to create the home for which she has always longed. Hattie encounters helpful neighbors but harsh conditions. As she grows to love her new home Hattie must make tough decisions as she deals with the deep prejudice at the time against Germans. Hattie has to decide for what she will stand.
Hattie Big Sky can be read strictly for the Frontier adventure, as she battles the elements, learns how to farm and care for her cantankerous cow, Violet.
But Hattie Big Sky also tackles deep current topics like prejudice, fear, loneliness, friendships, peer pressure and bullying. The topics are weaved seamlessly throughout the book fostering real conversations with you and your teen.
And every young adult can relate to the underlining theme of desiring to have a place where they belong!
Hattie Big Sky Literature Guide includes:
- 15 Beautifully Illustrated Printables (PDF downloadable format) – Print as many copies as you need for your family or teen book club.
- Reading Discussion Questions – Each chapter has lots of questions on a variety of topics. I know that some kids really enjoy history. Other tweens and teens want to talk about the relationships and some just want to enjoy the story. Each chapter has 3-5 questions so you can pick and choose what questions work best for your family.
- Reading Calendar – Pick whether you want to read the book in 6 weeks or 4 weeks and then print off the calendars. You can schedule all the weeks out at once or take it week by week.
- Book Club Tips – In your Literature Guide you will find at least 5 different ideas on how to use your guide. You can read with just your kids or create a book club!
- Reading Together Ideas – Sometimes teens can be resistant to reading together in the beginning . I share with you my best tips on making this a fun, memorable experience.
- Research Links – Want to dive in a little deeper and use this as a history or literature unit study? You will find clickable links for videos and additional reading.
Ready to purchase and download your Literature Guide? Great!! Let’s just make sure it is a good fit for you as all sales are final!
Reading Guide for Hattie Big Sky is Perfect if You:
- Love to read with your kids.
- Want more honest discussions with your teens about prejudice, standing up under peer pressure, bullying, faith and fitting in with the crowd.
- Wish to encourage your kids to be more interested in reading.
- Raising tween boys and girls or teen girls.
- Love reading historical fiction with your kids.
- Want to help your teen set up a teen book club.
- Looking for a fun way to incorporate reading into your homeschool curriculum.
- Need a great literature unit study on World War I or Frontier living.
Reading Guide May Not Be the Best Fit if You:
- Only have teen boys at your house. The main character is a 16 year old girl. While there are many other male characters involved in the story, including her soldier friend Charlie, Hattie Big Sky may be less interesting to some older teen guys. Tween boys typically have less reservation and will love the hard scrabble neighbor boy.
- Don’t wish to have the topics of Faith and God mentioned in books your kids to read. The book does make mention of God, while it is not a big part of the story, I did want to let you know.
How do I Purchase My Literature Guide?
- Click on the BUY NOW button.
- Use your Paypal or Credit/ Debit Card .
- Download the PDF on your device.
- Print off all the printables you wish to use.
- Purchase Hattie Big Sky he
Will this Literature Guide work if we use the kindle version of Hattie Big Sky? Yes, you can use whatever book format that you want as the guide refers to chapters and not page numbers.
May I download the guide more than once? Yes, you have up to 5 downloads in case you wish your kids to download the guide on their devices too.
Am I allowed to make copies if I use in book club? Yes, you are welcome to make as many copies as you need for your book club or book clubs. You may not transfer the ownership to another person to be used by them in another book club.
What format does the Literature Guide come in? Your Literature Guide is a downloable pdf, easily read by all electronic devices.
May I get a refund? Sorry, as it is a downloadable pdf you will have full access immediately, and therefore all sales are final.
I am so excited for all the memories you will make with your kids as you spend time reading together or reading with a few close friends!