My first several tries didn’t go so well. While I have always been interested in learning about herbs and aromatherapy, trying to figure out how to incorporate natural health was somewhat challenging. I would try to dry herbs, and the herbs became moldy. Or I would purchase quality essential oils and then I wasn’t sure what to do with them. But gradually after numerous experimentation things begin to change. So I want to share 4 simple ways to incorporate natural health remedies for your family, that won’t cost you an arm and a leg to get started!
4 Simple Ways to Incorporate Natural Health Remedies
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through a link The Reluctant Cowgirl will receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, used toward keeping this blog going. I only recommend products I appreciate and trust. Read all my disclosure here
Now one of my motivations was just a desire to learn more about the natural resources in God’s creation.
My other big incentive was to keep my family as healthy as possible, while cutting down on expensive doctor visits and excessive use of antibiotics. This became even more important later as I struggle with a condition called Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection. I have “bad days” when I feel exhausted and in pain. So no way do I want to spend my “good days” sitting around struggling with a cold!!
Find Great Resources
This was a turning point. I heard about this simple book called the ABC Herbal: A Simplified Guide to Natural Health by Steven Horne. I bought it and gobbled it up. It was small enough that I could read through it quickly. And it opened my eyes to what we are trying to do when we incorporate natural health remedies.
Our bodies are designed to try to cure and heal themselves. So if we realize what our bodies are doing then we can work WITH them and not against them.
For example, when your body has a fever it is trying to sweat out the illness. If we immediately lower our fever with the use of ibuprofen then we are making our bodies have to work harder to rid itself of the infection.
What??? Mind blown! I had no idea! Once I learned this basic concept then I had a much better framework onto which to build a natural health regimen.
The Best Resource for the Money
It can be expensive buying books, videos and courses to learn. That is why I can’t wait to share with you a deal that is available THIS WEEK!
Ultimate Bundles is offering an amazing Herbs and Essential Oils Super Bundle package for those who want to learn (or want to grow in their knowledge) of natural health. This bundle has over 34 digital products including some great recipes to try. All at 97% off the regular price if you tried to buy the products individually. But ONLY until June 4th, 2018.
With your Herbs and Essential Oils Super Bundle library you can:
- Rebuild your medicine cabinet with natural remedies
- Create beauty and skin care products without harmful ingredients
- Treat your digestive complaints, pain, colds, and flus with everything in your medicine cabinet
- Know which herbs are safe for pregnancy, babies and children
Discover which natural substances combat multi-drug resistance, infections and even cancer
- Confidently prepare herbal extracts, salves, and balms
- Liven up your meals and get major health benefits by using the right herbs
- and so much more!
Plus, it comes with over $60 worth of bonus offers from companies you’ll love (like essential oil diffuser earrings, natural skin care, and herbal tinctures!
Experiment with Teas
A fun way to learn about natural health is to use herbs in your tea. With a purchase of a simple tea infuser for loose leaf tea you can start enjoying natural health right away! I picked up some loose peppermint tea at a bulk food store and enjoy it when I need a natural energy boost. Chamomile is great for a natural way to calm yourself and unwind before bed!
Even in the grocery store they now offer all sorts of natural remedy teas. I prefer the whole loose leaf tea as I feel like they are closer to the real deal. But start where you can!
Purchase a Few Essential Oils
You can do a lot with even a couple essential oils. Purchase lavender, peppermint and perhaps a citrus.
Then start having fun! Lavender is great to diffuse in the house. It is wonderful added to epsom salts to create a relaxing bath.
Peppermint is helpful for calming upset tummies. Add a few drops to aloe vera or a body oil and rub on tummy! Peppermint is also very invigorating. Take a few drops in your hand (added with aloe vera or body oil), rub together and cup hands over mouth and nose breathing in slowly.
Blend lavender and peppermint and create a headache remedy.
Citrus oils are awesome for lifting your spirits. I personally love grapefruit oil. Around February, when I am getting those seasonal blues, I will add a few drops of grapefruit to a body oil and rub on neck and chest right after showing.
Incorporate Simple Cold Remedies
When you have a cold, it is a great time to try out some natural health remedies. You are going to be amazed when you see how quickly you can get over a cold with just a few changes! You can thank me later!
So here is my Super Duper Get-Over-The-Cold Method:
- Cut Sugar – I know this is hard but by cutting sugar out of your diet, you are giving your body a boost in the immune department.
- Make an Epsom Salt Bath – take 3/4 Cup of epsom salts, add a teaspoon of baking soda, 2 tsp of ginger powder (use less ginger for kids) and few drops of essential oil (lavender or an immunity boosting type blend).
- Take a Hot Bath – Get water as hot as you can stand it. Soak in tub, adding your epsom salt blend. Drink water or green tea while soaking. Ginger will cause you to perspire but that’s good.
- Doze and Rinse – After sweating it out for a little bit, wrap yourself in a sheet or dry towel and then pile on more blankets. Rest for a little while and then rinse off in a cool shower. After a refreshing shower you will already be feeling peppier able to take all those kids!
- Drink a Lot – Drink plenty of water and tea throughout the day. Tea with lemon and honey really is awesome. Use minimal acetaminophen or ibuprofen if necessary.
For a little bit more of an investment I highly recommend a Chinese blend called Tei-Fu. Tei-Fu is amazing!! I can’t handle a lot of cold medicine, and they interacts with some medication I have to take. So I use Tei-Fu when I have a cold in the morning and the evening. Adding it to a carrier oil, I will rub on chest and on back where the lungs are. It is crazy how well it works in preventing a simple cold from settling in your chest! Tei-Fu Lotion is awesome for sore muscles!!
4 Simple Ways to Incorporate Natural Health Remedies
So do you have natural health remedies you use for your family?
Don’t forget to check out the Herb and Essential Oils Super Bundle