Have you started to feel a bit off lately? You feel bored and burned out at the same time? Being a mom of teenagers is a time of transition. Our kids are growing and changing rapidly. But we also have to be mindful that WE may be ready to make some of our own transitions and changes. So I am so glad that Lara from the Mom on Purpose Podcast agreed to guest post and share her secret “discover your purpose” formula on finding your purpose for moms!
Lara is a certified life coach who focuses on helping busy moms find their purpose. She gives moms the steps to create a life that has God and family first, but also gives space for a mom to bloom and walk out her specific purpose. And you don’t need endless amounts of time or your children to be all grown to step into discovering your purpose and mission.
Are you ready to discover your secret purpose? Let’s learn from Lara!
Finding Your Purpose Formula With Lara from Mom on Purpose
If you’ve ever:
- Ugly cried while watching Moana;
- Felt you were meant for something more;
- Worried you are not living up to your full potential;
- Have said it’s not the “right time or season” to pursue something;
- Overscheduled yourself with volunteering or your kids’ schedules;
- Been so overwhelmed that you want to run away from your life…
Then you are living a REACTIVE life instead of living a LIFE on PURPOSE. This comes from not knowing WHO you are and WHAT your purpose is.
Yes, motherhood is a critical part of your purpose, but it might not be the ONLY part. And you’ll know this because you can’t shake the feeling that something is calling to you. But you have no idea how to answer it.
This is why I created the “Discover Your Purpose” formula. It is a simple formula that helps you know WHO you are and WHAT your purpose is. Following this formula helps you work in partnership WITH God and allows you to become MORE of the playful, present, connected mom you want to be while answering the thing you are being called to do.
The “Discover Your Purpose” Formula
The simple formula is Joy + Decision = Purpose
Every person was sent to earth with a set of gifts and talents. These gifts allow you to fulfill a purpose that God has laid out for you. The trick is knowing what these gifts and talents are so you CAN use them to your advantage and to the benefit of others. In order to find them, the first step is following your joy.
Finding Your Joy as a Mom
We need to find our joy because the things that bring you joy ARE your God-given gifts and talents. They are the things that come natural to you, the things you could learn about forever, or the things that light you up when you talk about.
Yes, there are times that will require you to grow and cultivate these gifts, but it will feel fun and light as you do so. As you follow your joy, you will come alive in the good life you have and the purpose God has laid out for you will become crystal clear.
Here are a few questions to help you find your joy:
- What are the things that “light” you up when you do them?
- What are things you loved about your past or current jobs? Why did you love it?
- What are the things you enjoy learning about or that you THINK you’d want to learn about?
- What patterns exist between the things that light you up and the things you’ve enjoyed at work?
Mom to Teenagers? Read 6 Activities to Help Teen Discover Their Passion
Discover Your Purpose and Step Into a Decision
Once you start “coming alive” by following your joy, your brain will turn on. The ideas will start to flow and you’ll start to wonder, “where do I start??”
It’s important to remember that you choose your purpose as much as your purpose chooses you, meaning God can use you in MANY capacities. When you’re working in partnership with Him, your opinion, desire, and voice matters. More often than not, He will not TELL you which path to take, but will leave it up to you to decide.
So understanding HOW you make decisions is CRITICAL to discovering your purpose. Without knowing, you will get stuck in indecision over which path to choose. You may turn to the internet for endless research OR ask everyone else their opinion, while never moving forward.
In order to understand HOW you make decisions, the first step is to learn the “Decision Making Cycle.”
Decision Making Cycle
There are 4 steps to the Decision Making Cycle. 1. Decide 2. Implement 3. Celebrate & Evaluate 4. Try Again. As you practice implementing this cycle, here are a few questions to help you understand your Decision Making Cycle:
Decide: Make a decision, any decision, and trust that you AND God have your back no matter what happens.
- What scares me about making a decision?
- When do I think I’ll be ready to make a decision?
- What do I do instead of making a decision?
- How will I treat myself if the decision doesn’t go like I think it should?
Implement: now that you have a decision made, formulate an execution plan and go to work DOING the plan until a decided end time.
- What scares me about doing the plan I’ve created?
- What do I do instead of following through on the plan that I’ve created?
- How do I think the plan will go?
- How will I treat myself if the plan doesn’t go like I think it should?
Celebrate: when you cross the finish of your designated end time, take time to celebrate the things you are PROUD of yourself for doing.
- Am I comfortable celebrating my wins? Why or why not?
- Am I comfortable looking at the results of my plan? Why or why not?
- What story will I tell myself as I look at my results?
- How do I feel about trying the cycle again?
Evaluate: Then, consider what worked, what didn’t work, and what you want to try differently going forward.
- Try Again: time to implement the things you learned from your Cycle from a loving place.
- How did the last cycle shape who I am now?
- What am I scared of learning during this next Cycle?
- What am I excited to learn about during this next Cycle?
- Who do I want to be as I try again?
Finding Your Purpose as a Mother
Now you have both pieces of the Discover Your Purpose Formula. Each piece is like a wheel on the bike. It’s up to you to learn how to MOVE the wheels forward. It will feel wobbly at first, but once you get the hang of it, this formula will take you to destinations that you only once dreamed of going to.
And the best part is, you will get there in partnership with God AND while being the playful, present, ALIVE mom that you’ve always wanted to be. Welcome to living life ON purpose.
Lara Johnson is a certified life coach, podcaster, wife to a busy accountant and mom to three. You can learn more from Lara on her podcast Mom On Purpose here! So head over to SUBSCRIBE to her podcast! Her podcast is for moms, but both my mom and my daughter have also really enjoyed listening to Lara. She breaks down personal growth for moms into such simple, doable steps that you will feel motivated AND encouraged all at once! Life changing!! So go subscribe NOW!:)
Leave a Reply